I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Just One More...

...and then I promise I'll stop talking about the Champions for at least two days.

Seriously, though. Check this out:



First of all: "BUH-TWOOM!" Clearly, that is one of the all-time great sound effects of history.

Second, and my favorite thing about that one: the caption, which reads like Bill Mantlo was so surprised at his own ridiculously awesome sound effect that he had to stop the narration to swear. That, my friends, is powerful writing.

Third, and finally: Ivan (on the right there) is totally freaking out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an anecdote that I think was in some big, hardcover guide to the Marvel universe a while ago.

Someone who worked for Marvel had a framed splash panel from an old Spider-Man hanging in their downstairs bathroom. The image shows Spider-Man swinging away from a huge explosion, to the sound of "FWA-LOOOM!"

The best part? When a guest comes round one time, and loudly yells from within the bathroom "My God, you've got 'FWA-LOOOM' in your toilet!"

6/29/2006 6:21 AM

 
Blogger Craig said...

Fourth: Is it just me, or out of context does this sorta look like Hercules is shooting a laser from his crotch?

6/29/2006 6:24 AM

 
Blogger JG said...

I really enjoyed "BRAKKA-RAKKA-BA-CHOOM!" in a recent Ultimate X-men issue.

6/29/2006 2:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what else is pretty fantastic? That bit of dialogue from the next panel, down in the lower right corner.

"By all the Gods there be-- --the man is MAD!!"

I really need to use that at my next group meeting.

6/29/2006 4:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love the idea of the guys sitting around the Bullpen shouting at each other:

"And Thor lands the hammer blow "Krak-a-doooom!"

"No, dude, it would be more like Bah-Thoom!"

"Yeah, but there should be an initial impact point. More like "Kra-ka-kow!"

"Yeah! Kra-Ka-Kow! How do you spell that?"

Hee

8/20/2006 8:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home