I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Hangin' With Lorenzo, Rollin' in a Benzo

If you would've told me when I woke up this morning that we would've sold fucking Pogs today to a kid who was genuinely ecstatic to get them, not only would I have not believed you, I probably would have punched you in the face.

I have to say, today was a good day.

The first thing I noticed this morning was that somebody decided it was time to have winter again. The temperature's dropped from like 70 to 40 in the span of about 36 hours. Seriously, make up your frigg'n mind, nature.

After that, I hit Burger King with Shaka and Phil for the first of two visits of the day. Lunch with those two cats was great, we talked about comics and hip hop (which, really, is no surprise). Then we rolled back to the shop listening to my gangsta rap mix tape, rocking Nothin' But A G Thang, one of the best songs to come from the west coast. I mean, really, Compton and Long Beach together? Now you KNOW you're in trouble! That in turn got us talking about the new Snoop single, which, unfortunately, does not live up, and Phil went on a mini diatribe about it:

"I hate it. What gets me is that Snoop Dogg is thirty-something years old, and he's rapping about being a crip, and there are kids out on the street dying because of something as stupid as 'that's your side of the street and this is my side.'"

It was one of those things that really makes you stop and realize: "Wow. Phil Looney's the shit."

The second visit to the King came later on, when Scott and I rolled in for dinner (and with that use of his name, the fact that I talk about Scott more than my girlfriend in this blog has become officially creepy). Our conversation was a lot more varied, considering we had a lot more time to waste, including the customary half hour loitering in the parking lot. One of the things I brought up was this recent Internet Gem, which is worth a read even if it's not true, as I suspect. Be sure to check out pages 5 and 6 for more hip hop references!

We also talked about Judd Winnick, who proves more and more every day that he needs to be stopped. I recently read a copy of Pedro & Me we had laying around the shop. It was enjoyable. Would've been more enjoyable if I didn't feel like I'd read it six times already, but still. The big red flag came from the fact that Mia's speech about AIDS to her school in a recent Green Arrow is almost word-for-word Pedro's speech about AIDS to a school. Judd. Seriously. We get it, all right? It's a noble goal, but I truly believe you're failing at it. You do good work, sometimes. Time to move on.

But the main focus of the conversation was, of course, Quantum Leap. Scott loves that stuff, I swear, and I was partial to it when I was younger, so we were just going on and on about it. I mean, we talked about more elements of Quantum Leap than I think actually exist. We talked about God/Fate/Sam, Sammy-Jo, Project Evil Quantum Leap... this went on for literally over an hour. The people who run that Burger King are probably over on their blogs right now talking about me like I was one of those kids who was gay for Spaceknights last week. And who ever thought I'd be using THAT phrase twice?

We also talked at length about the Greatest Movie Ever Made, but I think that's probably a topic for tomorrow. All that matters tonight is on the way home, I even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp, and it read "Chris Is A Pimp."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Shelley said...

Here's a Blog Etiquette Question for you: If, after reading a blog that covers several topics, is it rude to just respond on one of them? I sure hope not, cuz I don't know nothing 'bout no Gangster rap.

I only listen to Swedish Death Metal.

I could go on about how the Nietzschean/Randian themes that managed to make their way into such music helps empower kids to become stronger individuals, but I don't have any stats to back up such a crazy assertion. So instead, let me just say: "Ozzy Rules!"

I really enjoyed the Quantum Leap part. Last week I saw Seasons One and Two collected at Manifest for rediculously cheap. I almost bought them, but then realized I should use my Netflix account to watch 'em instead. Great show in so many different ways.

1/16/2005 7:08 PM

 
Blogger Davenz said...

I enjoyed reading the Quantum Leap part..Thanks

Regards
bowling team shirts

7/29/2010 5:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home