I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Sunday, August 07, 2005

I Am Weak

So I went out today and bought the stupid Oprah's Book Club William Faulkner Boxed Set, pictured here with the Punisher in an effort to re-manlify it a little bit:


I'm pretty sure there was a Punisher issue called "Sound and Fury."


Yep. There's no getting around it. That's a massive Oprah's Book Club logo right there on the front, and all the vigilantes hell-bent on revenge in the world can't make it go away.

In my defense, it's William-Frigg'n-Faulkner, it was cheap, and Waldens was having a "buy four get one free" sale.

But still... Oprah.

I go now to watch Road House six times and try to reclaim my manhood.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jim Shelley said...

Truman Capote once said that Faulkner would only be remembered for his short stories. I guess Tru didn't reckon on the desperate need of Crazy Talk Show Monguls who needed to validate their Trademarked Book Clubs by actually included books by REAL Southern Writers.

:\

I'm a big fan of Faulkner. Light in August is especially good. Like Capote, I'll confess to liking his short stories more. In college, I never had to read anything by Faulkner, so when I graduated, I felt kind of cheated and went and read everything I could find.

Curious, have you ever read any Cormac McCarthy? He writes in the same style as Faulkner, but his stories are more of the Garth Ennis Grim and Gritty Old West type. Blood Meridian and Outer Dark are two early books that are particularly good. He has a new one that Stephen King was raving about the other day. I think it is called No Place for Old Men.

8/08/2005 7:27 AM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

Oprah is so awesome. She could totally take the Punisher out.

Wait, what are we talking about?

8/08/2005 1:15 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

Phil, we can no longer be friends.

8/08/2005 9:11 PM

 
Blogger Kevin Church said...

I just want to write a Punisher story one day so he can use the line "I used to fuck guys like you in prison."

You know, from Roadhouse.

And Chris: there's got to be CHEAPER, non-OPRAH editions of those fine, fine works out there.

8/09/2005 11:59 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

But there's a SLIPCASE, Kevin! And MATCHING SPINES THAT FORM A PICTURE OF FAULKNER!

It's like Oprah and Diamond Comics teamed up to destroy me.

8/10/2005 10:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home