I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Saturday, April 22, 2006

An Object Lesson

Apparently, Saturdays have become Karaoke Night for my running crew, and that just wouldn't be complete without me getting accosted by a drunk woman.

Admittedly, at this point in the evening I'd been knocking a few back myself and I wasn't exactly forming complex sentences, but while I was drunk enough to sing a Neil Diamond song, this lady was drunk enough to slow dance with an imaginary partner to one. And for some reason, she was very annoyed with me.

She wandered over after last call, leaning in to speak in my ear in only the way that angry drunks and guys hitting on the girl you're with will do, and asked me: "D'you know what's funny?" I asked what, and she narrowed her eyes at me and said "You're young. But one day, you won't be. And then it won't be so funny anymore."

Aside from being vaguely threatening, I'm not sure what the hell that means, but I do think it's a lesson from which we can all benefit. Especially if we happen to be discussing the cover to From Beyond the Unknown #5:

Sure, it may be easy for us to laugh at it now, here in the prime of our youth, but someday, it won't be so...

...Yeah, now that I'm looking at it, I'm pretty sure that a gorilla named Mr. X who robs banks and wears a plaid suit is always going to be funny.

So, uh, not much of a lesson after all. But hey! Monkeys!

5 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

That one cop, with the wide open mouth is about to shoot himself in the foot. Keep hold of your gun man! You're dealing with a gorilla! This is no time for slack-jawed gawkery!

4/23/2006 10:48 AM

 
Blogger Winterteeth said...

Perhaps your drunken assailant's cryptic comments could be applied to the soul-searing searsucker suit that Mr. X is wearing. Those were at one time popular enough that a criminal mastermind gorilla thought that, by wearing one, he would blend into any crowd rather than look deranged. There is the heartbreak of hindsight personified.

4/23/2006 11:00 AM

 
Blogger Jim Shelley said...

She's right.

4/23/2006 3:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Soul-Searing Seersuckers" would make a good band name. And that gorilla's expression is priceless.

4/23/2006 4:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That expression is great.

It matches the words perfectly.

4/24/2006 12:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home