I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Friday, May 12, 2006

The Greatest House Ad of All Time

Only one man could cram this much excitement and that many exclamation points into one single-page house ad...

...And not use a single picture.

There's not much I can say about an ad that promises awesome wonders behind you, above you, and all around you, but the idea that Jack Kirby felt it was important to highlight the fact that he'd be telling stories about people, places, and things--or as I like to call them, nouns--delights me to no end.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ragnell said...

Are you sure that's a House Ad and not the sign outside the Convention Hall when he was scheduled as the speaker?

Seems to me like it's appropriate for that.

5/13/2006 1:21 AM

 
Blogger Walaka said...

I like that DC still referred to itself as "National."

5/13/2006 2:07 AM

 
Blogger Richard said...

It's definitely a house ad. You can tell because it appeared in several comic books.

I'm not entirely certain Kirby wrote this, however. The lower half does sound like him but the top half positively does not. And I doubt Carmine would simply have let Jack write his own advertising copy. Some of the wording may have been copped from a cover rough Jack submitted for approval to the New York office...or he may have offered them suggestions for promoting the books, from which they cherrypicked what they wanted. But I'd bet it wasn't all Jack.

5/13/2006 2:28 AM

 
Blogger Kevin Church said...

Chris, you fuck. I was about to use that for Kirby Saturday.

You fuck.

5/13/2006 10:12 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

Once again, Mister Church, we see that there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.

5/13/2006 10:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[begin chasing Kevin Church]

5/13/2006 1:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited and I don't even know what it's talking about.

5/13/2006 7:12 PM

 
Blogger Scipio said...

Hm.

Let's hope that's not who the toady is addressing as "The Great One" in 52 Week 7.

6/24/2006 7:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home