I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Monday, February 12, 2007

Romance Special: What's In A Name?

In order to prepare myself for the run-up to Valentine's Day, I spent a good amount of time last week with my yearly tradition of reading as many Silver Age Romance comics as I could, pausing every so often to stare wistfully into space and wonder if I'll ever find a girl who doesn't mind that I'm... The Wrong Kind Of Guy, but this year, I learned something.

Unless you count the handful of appearances by the dashing and handsome raconteur known as Count Sergio Bellini as a new kind of conflict between man and accent, there are essentially only six plots for romance comics, and as we can see from Heart Throbs #117, four of them tend to revolve around having your sister mistaken for your girlfriend. So the question is, how did the guys who wrote these things back in the sixties keep from going completely insane with boredom?

Answer: Careful word choice.







Ah, the pure joy that is DC's Young Love #83. My work here is done.

12 Comments:

Blogger Mark W. Hale said...

As far as that cover goes...

Wow, Portia De Rossi is PISSED.

2/13/2007 12:13 AM

 
Blogger Ragnell said...

That explains why so many characters are named "Richard."

2/13/2007 12:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romance comics, Marvel's Champions -- is their anything Vince Coletta couldn't do?

2/13/2007 12:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bookrats-- Art that was more than "mildly adequate"?

2/13/2007 4:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This all reminds me of this installment of Mark Trail, everybody's favorite surprisingly not a forest ranger but actually a reporter of some kind apparently.

There's a whole series of strips about Dick trying to deal with beavers. It's only at this one that I became convinced Elrod was doing it on purpose.

2/13/2007 5:40 AM

 
Blogger lostinube said...

Wait wait. I don't get it. Why does she keep saying some guy's name over and over?

2/13/2007 8:07 AM

 
Blogger joncormier said...

Thank you Chris. That made my morning.

2/13/2007 9:18 AM

 
Blogger SallyP said...

Thank you Chris. I am quietly sniggering to myself.

2/13/2007 9:22 AM

 
Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

XDDD

*dead*

2/13/2007 2:15 PM

 
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I suppose it could be worse, the name could be Willy.

2/13/2007 5:07 PM

 
Blogger Richard said...

"You can't let Dick control your life!"

2/13/2007 6:13 PM

 
Blogger Tom Foss said...

You made an Air Supply joke.

For that, you are my hero. You could say that I'm lost in love with you...

On second thought, no, you couldn't.

2/14/2007 12:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home