I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Second-Best Acronym in Comics

[Note: Tonight's ISB contains spoilers, so if you haven't yet read your comics for August 10, don't read anymore. Or go ahead, but don't come cryin' to me, ya nancy.]

With the rapid approach of my birthday (only a few hours left, folks), I've been taking a couple of days off from work. Now when it comes right down to it, I'm a pretty boring person. I tend to spend my time off by staying up late, sleeping until an ungodly hour of the afternoon, and capping off my day with a movie or some reading. If I'm feeling exceptionally industrious, I might toss a video game on the stack. Heck, throw in a few meals, and you've got my ideal vacation wrapped up in a nutshell.

Which is why it should come as no great surprise that today, I rolled out of bed at half past three, and settled into my new armchair to go about the business of reading my comics.

Yes, Seven Soldiers: Zatanna was great. And yes, Villains United #4 was like a special birthday present from Gail Simone that has ensured that I'll resume sending her love letters just as soon as my lawyers get everything properly straightened out. "Obsessive" is such a harsh word in today's climate...

But friends, they were blown away by a little thing I like to call Captain America #8:



Words cannot accurately express how thrilled I was by this issue, and for a simple reason:

Captain America fights the Military Operatives Designed Only for Combat.

Oh yes. Say it with me now, people:

The All-New All-Different MODOC.


Did you feel the chills? I did.

At this point, I really shouldn't have to explain why MODOK is the one of the best characters ever created. I mean, just look at him. He speaks for himself.

Jack Kirby wanted to create something that was Designed Only for Killing, and what he came up with was a massive head with tiny little arms and legs, Tug's haircut, and a floating chair. It's genius.

But even more than that, what got me so super-pumped is that between Marvel and DC, both of my favorite Jack Kirby acronymed characters are back, just the way I like them: In action, in trouble, and occasionally in awesome floating chairs.

What this means for you, the consumer, is that if Marvel and DC ever decide they don't hate each other again, we can get the crossover that I've been waiting for my entire life: The One Man Army Corps vs. the Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing.


Worlds would live. Worlds would die. But nothing would ever be the same.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phil Looney said...

Old OMAC is ten times better than new OMAC. I can't pass judgement on this new MODOC.

8/12/2005 8:29 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

Phil, Old OMAC is better than everything.

8/12/2005 10:54 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

I SENSE THE FOUL PRESENCE OF BLOG SPAM!

8/12/2005 3:04 PM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

Wow! Porto was also hit with spam earlier. That sucks.

8/12/2005 11:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home