I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving Hiatus

As much as I hate to do it, I'm afraid that it's time once again for me to take a break from the ISB in order to spend some alleged "quality" time with my family. I assure you, however, that I'd much rather be here poring over back issues to find, I don't know, the best panels from Micronauts or something to entertain you guys.

Incidentally? The three best panels from Micronauts are as follows, and I quote:

(Special thanks to Mark Hale for that one)


So yeah, I'll be back on Monday. But before I go, I'd like to take care of a few things.

First, because you guys were apparently all out of love and so lost without me last time I was late getting the comics reviews in, I can pretty much assure you that Punisher War Journal #1 is going to be my pick for Best of the Week, seeing as it features Matt Fraction and Ariel Olivetti doing a comic book where the Punisher fights Stilt-Man, which is genius.

So it's pretty much either that or Jack of Fables.

As for what I've actually read, the shop got preview copies of Casanova, GØDLAND, Daredevil, X-Factor, and Runaways, which were all excellent, and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, which was also excellent, but needs to be singled out for its heartfelt appeal to the readers to write MJ a letter.

With that out of the way, I'd like to take a few moments and--as is our custom this time of year at the ISB--talk about some of the things I'm thankful for this year.

First off--and this isn't just me sucking up--I'm thankful for you guys, who come by every day to see what I've written and leave comments or send me letters. Specifically, though, I'm thankful for the two-thirds of you who actually got the point of Anita Blake vs. Batman.

I'm thankful for the fine folks over at CRACKED Magazine for paying me to write jokes, and for the good people who write for the magazine and its affiliated blogs for being an incredibly entertaining group.

I'm thankful for the friendly members of the internet comics blogging community, who are a surprisingly friendly bunch. And of course, I'm thankful for Dave Campbell, who continues to serve as my own personal nemesis, and whose constant overshadowing of my work only drives me to greater heights, much like Shakespeare to my Marlowe.

Uh... you guys do know who Christopher Marlowe is, right?

And then there's all the standards: Good friends, certain members of my family, comics--even the bad ones--good health, all that jazz.

But finally, and... perhaps most of all... I'm thankful that a story in Archie at Riverdale High #2 has this title:



Happy Thanksgiving. Don't break anything while I'm gone.

21 Comments:

Blogger paperghost said...

"Uh... you guys do know who Christopher Marlowe is, right?"

batman begins director?

/ removes pretend stupidity hat

...so wait, which one of you two is marlowe? because he did get stabbity stabbed in a pub, which probably isn't the best thing to aspire to.

11/22/2006 12:43 AM

 
Blogger LurkerWithout said...

The point of Anita Blake vs. Batman? Was it that Batman needs to sleep with more vampires?

11/22/2006 1:28 AM

 
Blogger McGone said...

But isn't the prevalent theory that Marlowe and Shakespeare were the same person? Are you trying tell us something Sims? I mean, Campbell? I mean, Sims?

Thanks for bringing the funny on a near-daily basis, brother.

11/22/2006 2:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By saying you are Christopher Marlow, you mran you intend to get stabbed in the eye in a bar right?

11/22/2006 4:16 AM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

I'm thankful for spam, because without it, the people of Hawaii wouldn't eat meat.

11/22/2006 8:16 AM

 
Blogger Matthew E said...

Uh... you guys do know who Christopher Marlowe is, right?

Sure. He was a gay spy who, as has been well noted by my colleagues, got ventilated one night in a bar.

11/22/2006 9:57 AM

 
Blogger gorjus said...

I'm thankful for the ISB and, after those panels above, Michael Golden.

11/22/2006 10:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

I'm surprised that you would reference Christopher Marlowe in such an authoritative manner, because I seem to remember an exchange in a certain British literature class that went something like this:

Chris: "So, Dr. Faustus doesn't punch the devil in the face, right?"

Dr. K: "No, Chris, he does not."

Chris: "You know who did punch the devil in the face?"

Dr. K: "No, Chris, I don't. Who punched the devil in the face?"

Chris: "Richard Dragon."

Dr. K: "Okay . . . So what?"

Chris: "So that means that Chuck Dixon's Richard Dragon is better than Christopher Marlowe's Dr. Faustus. And since Chuck Dixon's Richard Dragon sucks, I'll let you do the math."

Dr. K: "Chris, did you even read Dr. Faustus?"

And if you doubt this really happened, I have it all on tape.

--dr. k

11/22/2006 10:17 AM

 
Blogger SallyP said...

Marlowe, Shmarlow. Francis Bacon was the MAN! Isnt' he the one who kick-boxed Edmund Spencer? Oh, and have a nice Thanksgiving.

11/22/2006 10:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christobel, I am thankful for your blog.

I read it while at work and can't laugh out loud so I hold it in. I hold it in so hard that sometimes a drop of pee comes out.

That pee drop is pure, concentrated, liquid laughter.

That's how funny you are.

You are as cool as a dragon punch.

Peace and Happy Thanksgiving, foo.

11/22/2006 12:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...the Punisher fights Stilt-Man..."

Chris, after you're done with the turkey, please please please can we have some of...

"...the Punisher fights Stilt-Man..."

...in here. That little blurb just BLEW MY MIND.

11/22/2006 12:05 PM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

>>And if you doubt this really happened, I have it all on tape.

I think you should put that in the ISB podcast.

"Dr. Kunga and Chris Sims - The merits of British Literature and Chuck Dixon."

11/22/2006 2:36 PM

 
Blogger paperghost said...

"Marlowe, Shmarlow. Francis Bacon was the MAN! Isnt' he the one who kick-boxed Edmund Spencer?"

No, he's the one who did awesome paintings.

Oh wait, wrong Bacon. Carry on.

11/22/2006 3:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking forward to a Thanksgiving-themed Week in Ink, perhaps with a Pilgrim-to-Indian kick to the face, or maybe a turkey-to-Stilt-Man kick to the face.

Did see Daredevil kicking Tombstone in the face this week, although it wasn't that impressive. Seeing Daredevil hit tombstone in the head with a sledge hammer did it for me, though.

11/22/2006 7:16 PM

 
Blogger Mark W. Hale said...

gorjus, that was drawn by Kelley Jones!

11/22/2006 9:06 PM

 
Blogger Doctor Polaris said...

I am thankful for my AWESOME magnetic powers, my ASTONISHING briliance, and my INCREDIBLE virility.

11/25/2006 11:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for Polaris's Virility as well.

11/26/2006 1:18 AM

 
Blogger gorjus said...

Wait, REALLY?? But . . . there's no skeletons or cobwebs or anything!! Thanks for the head's up, though, Mark--I know I'm using my Xmas discount at the local store to get me some back issues!

11/27/2006 10:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to deviate from your post but me and my brother were having a debate on something that you could prolly clear up for it.

thundarr vs conan, who would win?

11/27/2006 11:43 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

Conan, of course!

11/28/2006 10:39 PM

 
Anonymous Oswald said...

Thanks for this article, pretty helpful piece of writing.
computer games | play pc games | free games home | full pc games online | make flash game

11/27/2011 8:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home