I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Shameless Thievery

Kevin is out of town on business (read: hookers and blow), and hasn't updated his weblog in a couple of days. And since it's currently 11:59 Sunday Night, I think that means that we're going to be denied my favorite weekly feature of his, Genius Covers Sunday.

It would be an internet catastrophe if that was allowed to happen. Therefore, in hopes that Kevin won't mind, I've decided to shamelessly steal that idea for tonight's ISB:

Genius Covers Sunday: Shattering the Fourth Wall

High five!One of the most famous covers inspired by editor Julie Schwartz, and for good reason. If you were a kid in the sixties, how could you NOT buy this issue? If you didn't, the Flash was going to die and never come back ever again and it was your fault. That's marketing genius.

Oh no, don't tell them that!Well, that's just peachy. This would be why I've got people calling up every day wanting me to pay $30 and up for your death. Thanks a lot, Superman. Thanks for ruining everything.

Born and bred to be a mack.Between the crown, the purple mask, and the fact that he's demanding a billion dollars, thus proving that he is not fucking around, the Monarch of Menace may be my new favorite comic book character.

Nice shades, bro.If a man in a parka and glasses like that offers to show you uncensored Flash pictures, do not give him fifteen cents. He is not a real captain.

Flat-out awesome.You know, this sort of thing seems to happen a lot to the Flash. But when you routinely deal with Super-Gorillas and a world gone green...

Face front, ya goldbricks!I've spoken before at great length about my love for Sgt. Rock covers, so I'll just say this: This is a hell of a lot better than that Army of One bullshit.

Total Badass"Yeah, I may just be a comic book character, but I'm still the Goddamn Batman, and nobody is going anywhere!"


And that's that. Tell you what, Kevin, just to make it up to you, you can talk about the Karate Kid constantly for the next month, and we'll just call it even. Now let's go see what Campbell's up to for tomorrow's post...

5 Comments:

Blogger David Campbell said...

It would be cool if Batman never solved the murder mystery and we were all stuck in the magazine forever and ever.

11/14/2005 1:54 PM

 
Blogger DougBot said...

Yeah, but I bet the insurance premiums in Gotham City are through the roof. Might be slightly better than Metropolis rates, though.

Genius work on these genius covers!

11/14/2005 9:06 PM

 
Blogger Earth-2 Leigh said...

Thanks for taking up the slack. (There, I said it.)

I don't know what I would have done without any genius covers anywhere near my weekend.

11/15/2005 1:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re the Flash cover... that should say "kid in the sixties" not fifties. I was there, and bought it -- of course in those days we needed such a cover to spur us on in our uphill bare-footed journey through three-feet of snow...

For another Schwartz-effort at shattering the Fourth Wall, check out one of my favorites, from The Atom, at

http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/1489/400/1489_4_36.jpg

(If that link's a little long, it's the cover to The Atom 36)

One of the pleasures of a multiversal past-time.

--Garrie

11/15/2005 11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Leo said...

Quite helpful piece of writing, thanks so much for this post.
games | pc games download | free games | best console games | find easy games to play

11/28/2011 2:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home