I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Two Questions

Specifically, I'm asking about the cover to 1941's Human Torch Comics #5:



1. Where did Namor even get that thing he's driving around (and by extension, where can I get one)?

2. Why doesn't he ride that thing all the time?

Admittedly, flying with the power of little wings on your ankles probably allows you to cover more ground than what appears to be a giant electromagnet mounted on tank treads, but in case you missed it, it shoots lightning from a pair of antennae, and thus makes a lot more sense than, say, the Justice Jogger.

Like Mark Hale said when I showed him the picture, that thing's like six GI Joe vehicles dropped on top of each other--and it's even monogrammed. If that wouldn't have spiced up some Defenders issues, I don't know what would.




BONUS FEATURE: Because YOU Demanded It!


The 1999 reprint of this issue, Timely Comics Presents the Human Torch, not only features the above cover painted by Ray Lago, but also features this on the back cover:

I don't know if that's the recreation of an actual ad, or just something they cooked up for the reprint, but what I do know is that it's comedy gold.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

Just god, yes.

I love Namor he's even ripping his shirt open every time I post a comment.

Now I love him even more.

4/30/2006 3:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So why didn't this show up in the first issue of Marvels?

But wait. Are we sure this thing doesn't belong to those freaky little bug-eyed guys? Maybe they were in the midst of confronting this topless guy who swiped it, and some fire guy came out of nowhere and started vandalizing it--leading to an understandably violent reaction.

4/30/2006 7:48 AM

 
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

He won't use it now, because he's too much Namor to admit it could come in handy. In his younger, less bullheaded days, he saw nothing wrong with using a giant. . . hair dryer (or whatever it is) of destruction on his enemies.

4/30/2006 11:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a facsimile reprint of that comic from 1999, with artifiically aged paper and everything, and let me tell you: it's awesome. Not only does it have Namor using the giant hair dryer, it has Namor destroying New York with floods! It immediately got better the next day, of course.

4/30/2006 2:03 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

That's the same one I have, Adrian, which is well worth it for the painted Ray Lago version of this cover that it has.

Plus, there's an ad on the back that's comedy gold.

4/30/2006 3:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh please post the ad, please please please. Don't make me have to debase myself...

4/30/2006 11:02 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

The ISB: Catering to Debasement since 2005.

4/30/2006 11:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet Namor is right!

It probably is a pack of lies!

5/01/2006 12:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home