I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Week In Ink: 11-29-06

You know, it's probably just a side-effect of my jet-setting comics blogger lifestyle, but it feels like I was just doing weekly comics reviews yesterday. Huh.

Ah, well. Time and facekicks wait for no man!



Yes, it's the fifth week of November, 2006, and the question on everyone's mind is undoubtedly "Did Iron Fist punch enough people to become the ISB Best of the Week?!"

Short answer: Yes.

The long answer? That begins here! Now on with it!




52: Week 30: Aside from the scenes at the Mad Scientists' Thanksgiving dinner, last week's installment of 52 was my least favorite of the bunch, right up until this one came out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the solicitations for every single issue for the past eight months have reminded us that this book solely exists is to chronicle a year without Batman, and even discounting the fact that I've seen that guy go on a spiritual journey to find himself at least twice by this point, an issue that catches us up on what Batman's doing seems to run contrary to the whole frigg'n point. Add to that the fact that the Bat-Crew was partying with supermodels in France while Black Adam tore Terra-Man into pieces (rather than, say, being on a mountaintop in Tibet meditating or something), and you've got 22 pages that leave me extremely unsatisfied at the expense of the stories in this book that I actually do care about.

Well, except for the Lobo story. You can pretty much keep that one.


Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #46: It could just be that I've gotten into the habit of comparing this book to Kurt Busiek's run writing everyone's favorite barbarian, but this issue's focus on one of the original Aquaman's adventures--which comes hot on the heels of the month-late #45 from two weeks ago--immediately put me in mind of the stories in Conan that cut back to the framing sequence with the Wazir and the Prince reading the Nemedian Chronicles. Either way, Busiek, Karl Kesel and Phil Winslade tell another highly enjoyable story that really captures all the underwater sword-and-sorcery aspects of this book that I've been enjoying so much, even if I'm still waiting for the Atlanteans to stop walking around like they're not moving underwater. Other than that minor, pretty personal nitpick, though, it's fun stuff.


Batman #659: I mentioned my general distaste for fill-in issues when the last issue of Detective came out, but I actually had pretty high hopes for this one. After all, John Ostrander is one of the great unsung talents of comics with his amazing runs on Suicide Squad, and his Spectre work with Tom Mandrake isn't half bad either. Unfortunately, this issue's pretty terrible. I've said it before, but one of the comic book clichés that we never need to see again is the panel where a new super-villain shows up and shouts their name in huge red letters, and sadly, that's the least of the hackneyed tricks that are pulled out over the course of this issue. There are a few interesting moments, which will hopefully be built upon over the next few parts of the story, but if the first issue's a good measure of what we're in for, you're probably better off waiting until Morrison gets back.


Batman/The Spirit: Back on Tuesday, Johanna Draper Carlson said that this one had the potential to be really enjoyable if "Darwyn Cooke’s influence overcomes the Jeph Loeb taint." That, my friends, is as good a setup as you're ever going to see, but I'm going to go ahead and let you write the punchline yourselves. What I will say, however, is that this book opens up with the single worst opening caption I've ever read, and while the dialogue doesn't really get much better, the plot's a goofy but serviceable way to get the door open for the real draw here: The beautiful, beautiful art of Darwyn Cooke.

With J. Bone working on inks, Cooke's art is amazing through the whole thing, including a fantastic splash page of the Spirit--complete with his name spelled out in the background, of course--that has no business not being a poster. It's worth the five bucks alone just to look at this thing, and it's given me even higher hopes for Cooke's Spirit ongoing, which will be mercifully Loeb-free.


Captain America #24


ISB BEST OF THE WEEK




The Immortal Iron Fist #1: Even discounting the time where he charges up his fist like unto a thing of iron and punches seven guys in one panel--thus tying OMAC's record--Danny Rand kicks five Hydra agents in the face in this issue, and that makes for some fine comics. And yes, I counted.

Seriously, though, Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction are telling an incredibly enjoyable story here, blending kung-fu action with some intriguing revelations about a legacy surrounding Iron Fists's power. The idea that Danny Rand isn't the first Iron Fist is one that has the potential to take away a lot of what's unique about the character--namely that there's nobody else rolling around that was tough enough to bear-hug a dragon to death--but at this point, it's a risk that's more than outweighed by a very interesting and extremely well-done story by Fraction and Brubaker, who's currently writing some of the best Marvel comics in years. As for the art, I've heard David Aja's work compared to Jae Lee's, but since you can actually tell what's going on in this comic, I'd put it a fair step above that. It's in the same vein as Michael Lark's current work on Daredevil, and while there are some rough spots (like the picture of Luke Cage that bears a striking resemblance to that guy who dresses up like Superman), that's good company to be in. Even the flashback sequences by Travel Foreman and Derek Fridolfs are well-done and add a lot to the book, and Matt Hollingsworth's coloring is top notch, as always.

It certainly doesn't hurt that Iron Fist is one of my favorite characters, but really: It's action-packed, highly entertaining, and very much worth your time.


Nextwave: Agents of HATE #10: Warren Ellis sent out a Bad Signal email earlier this week that mentioned how much of a mess he thought Nextwave #10 was and how it didn't work out quite right, which struck me as a little odd, as it might just be my favorite issue so far. I absolutely loved the last issue, with its crazy super-teams and the shocking return of the crew from Not Brand Ecch, but this one goes in the diametrically opposite direction, and the only way I can think of to describe it is that it sort of becomes a "real" comic for eleven pages, and that's what's so awesome about it. It's a great sharp contrast between the goofy, self-aware stupid fun that marks Nextwave, and the fact that the dire, soul-crushing conflict is resolved in typical explosion-filled Nextwave fashion just makes it even better. Then again, what do you expect? This comic is like Hate Face for the modern world.


Ptolus: City by the Spire #2


The Punisher #41


Punisher X-Mas SPecial 2006: I've been doing the Week in Ink for over a year now, so the fact that I can't resist buying a Punisher Christmas Special should only come as a surprise if you mistakenly stumbled onto the ISB after Googling "Degrassi awesome punch" or something. Unfortunately, the fact that they appear at the nexus of two of my "sure-sells" is about the only reason to pick up any sort of Punisher holiday special, because they're never really any good. This year's--by Stuart Moore and CP Smith--does have the distinction of being a lot better than Andy Diggle's offering from last year, but whereas he sacrificed character and likability for the sake of humor, Stuat Moore makes the exact opposite mistake, going way too serious with it. The best Punisher stories--and, in fact, the whole Garth Ennis run--have a constant dark sense of humor to them, and a holiday special's the perfect opportunity to play with that, and this one reads like nothing quite so much as a wasted opportunity.


Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #41: Wow. Just... just wow. A few weeks ago, I made a comment that with its supernatural, oversexed attempts at witty dialogue, Anita Blake was going to be the new Tarot. But... no. No, this issue makes it pretty clear that Tarot will always be a thing unto itsel, and the fact that it's a holiday special means that I'll have no choice but to bring you an in-depth review in the near future. You might want to go ahead and start drinking now, just to prepare yourself.


Teen Titans #41: Let's not mince words here: I frigg'n hate Jericho, to a point that rivals the universally loathsome Terry Long. I think it all boils down to the costume, but the fact remains, I have no desire to ever see him again, and considering that he's a character with two big, plot-shattering death scenes--one of which written by the same guy writing him now--I think we can all join hands and agree that he should go away and never, ever come back. Or maybe it's just me. Either way, I'm rapidly losing interest in the Titans, even with the addition of the likeable and interesting Miss Martian, and the inconsistent fill-in art by Paco Diaz and Ryan Benjamin (replacing the inconsistent-but-improving Tony Daniel)--really doesn't help matters much on that front.


Wetworks #3: Even though it's at least an issue ahead of the rest of the Worldstorm books, I don't have the same familiarity with Wetworks to draw on like I do with Gen13, so Mike Carey and Whilce Portacio's run on this one is still in a sort of holding pattern while I try to figure out what exactly's going on. It's pretty unusual for someone who's used to making pretty quick snap judgements on comics, but the fact that I'm still reading it three months in probably says more for it than I can easily put into words.





Trades

The Dark Horse Book of Monsters: There's a new Mike Mignola Hellboy story in this one, along with new work from folks like Evan Dorkin, Kurt Busiek, Jill Thompson, Keith Giffen, and Affable Al Milgrom, so honestly? I'm just putting this here in case you somehow missed that it came out.


And that's the reviews for this week--But be here tomorrow, for a very special installment of the ISB, where everything will change! Or maybe not.

But something will, I'm sure. So I've got that going for me.

24 Comments:

Blogger PCAB said...

Hey, I used to collect a while ago. It was like crack. I had to get off the stuff.
It's nice to see someone still has the passion like I used to.
good luck

12/01/2006 2:58 AM

 
Blogger Brett said...

I found the site originally by googling 'solipsistic emo sensitive progressive comic blog with awesome head kicks'

12/01/2006 6:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No Archie comments this week?

I thought the new "Batman" arc sounded interesting. I'll have to peruse it before I buy it I guess. And "Immortal Iron Fist" looks jaw-breakingly awesome.

12/01/2006 7:54 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

ummmm..., did anyone else actually google "Degrassi awesome punch"?

Oddly enough, I don't actually show up until page four! I think we can do a little better than that.

12/01/2006 9:28 AM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

Chris, 52 is still a year with out Batman - finger eye dudes killed Batman with their magic swords while G Mo smoked peyote and laughed.

12/01/2006 9:39 AM

 
Blogger Jeff said...

Why, Chris, why!?

I googled it. And I started reading Miriam McDonald's blog. I can't stop, and I think I have a nosebleed.

"For those of you who don't know me I'm Miriam McDonald. Im 19 years-old and if you know my name it's likely because I am an actress."

For those of you who don't know me...if you know my name..."

Is it likely that people who don't know her would know her name? I want to diagram these sentences, but it might drive me mad.

12/01/2006 9:44 AM

 
Blogger LurkerWithout said...

Let me see if I can remember what the basic plot was for Wetworks. You had a bunch of elite black-ops soldier dudes who all used to hang out with Grifter or something. And then they got some kind of nanotech metal armor stuff. Plus vampires vs. werewolves. I think over a decade they managed to put out 4 issues or something, making the title 2nd only to Pitt in inconsistant output...

12/01/2006 10:17 AM

 
Blogger SallyP said...

Awwww c'mon. Nightwing and Robin lead stressful lives. They NEEDED to cavort with those models. I rather enjoyed the cover with Bats stabbing his cape. Maybe there was a caterpillar or something in there. He may not mind bats, but he HATES BUGS!

Speaking of which, they bring back Jerico instead of Beetle or Booster? Gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Oh, and you really should start reading Green Lantern. The sight of a Hal Jordan butt drawn by Ivan Reis will calm the crankiest soul.
Heh heh.

12/01/2006 10:56 AM

 
Blogger Edward Liu said...

The "Tarot" alt-text joke was easily worth the price of admission.

I don't think I noticed that Jeph Loeb was writing Batman/Spirit. To me, that's a combination that's about as appealing as a peanut butter and motor oil sandwich.

12/01/2006 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Ferrous Buller said...

Ahhh, Ptolus: leaves one speechless, doesn't it?

The nicest thing I can say about it is I hope when White is done doing his time in the trenches illustrating D&D fanfic, he'll get to work with a good fantasy author on something classier.

Y'know, like Red Sonja.

12/01/2006 12:41 PM

 
Blogger Jeff Rients said...

'C-KNEK!' is the sound of a goon's neck twisting/snapping? I think my nephew has some toys called that. Weird.

12/01/2006 1:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the shopping list images - excellent idea, plus Zomg! Boom!

12/01/2006 3:04 PM

 
Blogger Greg said...

Well, I liked Batman. But that's just me.

I just really wanted to say that I'm looking forward to the extended take on Tarot. You know those are always my favorite posts of yours.

12/01/2006 4:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truth be known, Jeph Loeb does have a 6" taint, and it is quite the challenge to overcome.

12/01/2006 5:05 PM

 
Blogger McGone said...

When NEXTWAVE ends - 2 issues from now - I will gather all 12 glorious books in a long embrace and have a good cry on my bed. Then I will wipe my tears, because THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST is my new love, and I am it's bitch. That was a damn good read!

BTW... "Degrassi awesome punch"? Hilarity.

12/01/2006 9:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the cover of '52' because it looked like me trying to pitch a tent when I go camping.

And that in turn made me picture an entire scene with Bruce going "Of course I know how to pitch a tent! I'm the goddam Ba-aaargh it *ripped!*", and then a quick cutaway to Alfred back in Gotham, sipping tea and looking insufferably smug.

12/01/2006 11:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, in the Aquaman review, you mention this "conan" guy.

Is this the same barbarian, "ee conan", who was famous for his typographically-distinguished all lower-case arch-modernist poetry? I always loved his famous poem "Thulsa Doom's defunct".

Too obscure? Yes? OK, sorry.

12/02/2006 4:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"ummmm..., did anyone else actually google "Degrassi awesome punch"?

Oddly enough, I don't actually show up until page four! I think we can do a little better than that."

On the other hand you're the #1 result for degrassi awesome head kick

12/02/2006 7:06 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

Martin A:

...

Jerk.

12/02/2006 11:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come, come good sir, I'm hardly a "jerk". I was not even going to mention this negligible slip of the typing hand, until it gave me occasion to make a drop-dead hilarious ee cummings joke. I just couldn't resist.

Thus, the correct term for what I am is "pretentious jackass".

12/03/2006 12:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on nextwave:

i read this issue, and somewhere in those pages it dawned on me that this book DOES fit the 616. im utterly willing to believe that the beyond corp is behind pretty much every buttfucking insane thing thats gone down in the MU to some degree or another. i mean, there are BAJILLIONS of inconceivably stupid characters out there that never made sense. they have to have come from SOMEWHERE.

and those poor bastards on the team were unlucky enough to get stuck on THAT team together because of their failed runs as A-list heroes. now they are learning some of the darkest secrets Marvel holds.

the only thing that makes me cry is that i really doubt anyone will randomly stick them in other comics. ever again. id LOVE to see Human Resources bother the crap out of a "serious" character, like spider-man.

12/03/2006 6:19 PM

 
Blogger Zach Adams said...

You know, every time you review Tarot I come a little closer to actually buying a copy or at least reading it in the store to experience its magnificence. This week I probably would have, if not for the fact that I was with someone else at the shop and didn't have time to kill.

12/03/2006 9:41 PM

 
Anonymous نقل عفش بمكه said...

من افضل وارخص شركات منطقة مكة المكرمة التي تعمل في مجال نقل العفش مع الفك والتركيب تلك الشركة الجيدة التي تقدم خدمات جيدة وتسمى شركة نقل عفش بمكة وهي التي تختص بنقل العفش من بيت الى بيت آخر
وقد تقوم تلك الشركات في جدة ايضا من بتقديم خدمات النقل من مكان الى آخر وتسمى شركة نقل عفش بجدة بتقديم تلك الخدمات في سيارات مخصوصة بأعمال نقل العفش مع الفك والتركيب
وفي مدينة الطائف يوجد شركات نقل العفش تقدم خدمات جيدة ومضمونة مع التغليف شركة نقل عفش بالطائف فلو تريد نقل عفش بيتك وانت في الطائف تواصل معنا

6/29/2019 10:50 PM

 
Blogger Anusha Todurkar said...

A big thanks to Dr Oselumen i never believe that there still exist a real death spell caster after all this years of disappointment from the enormous spammers on the Internet who go about scamming people, until i was opportune to meet Dr Oselumen a real spell caster, through a close friend called Jennifer who Dr oselumen had helped before, when i contacted him with his email via droselumen@gmail.com i explain how my ex have been giving me problem in my marriage, she never allowed me a moment of peace, and i need to end it by killing her, and i don't want to make use of assassin because it will be risky so i needed to do it in a spiritual way that's why i decided to contact him, he assured me not to worry as i have contacted the right person at the right time, i co-operated with him and in less than a week my ex was dead, she slept and never woke up all thanks to Dr Oselumen indeed he's really a humble man. you can contact dr oselumen for any death spell, such as to kill your superior in the office and take his or her place, death spell to kill your father and inherit his wealth ,death spell to kill anyone who have scammed you in the past ,spell for increase in salaries, spell for promotion at the office, spell to get your ex lover back, if things is not working well in your life then you need to contact him nowvia Email droselumen@gmail.com call or add him on whatsapp +2348054265852

3/11/2021 9:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home