I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Friday, March 03, 2006

Tonight's Moment of Pure Comics Joy

From the 1984 Baxter paper New Gods reprints:

"We'll do it together! You and I shall stay with it--and watch a giant image grow--like the talents and terrors of our times!"


I'm not even exactly sure what this thing is, whether it was a house ad, or (as Scott suggested) a page from a fanzine, or just something they put in the reprint books to lead up to the Hunger Dogs graphic novel. But I do know that it's perfect.

My pet theory is that it's Jack Kirby's verison of a motivational poster. You don't get a kitten dangling from a wire in the World That's Coming, friends--you get the King himself telling you to buck up because we're in it together.

Plus, I just love that page he's working on, with that giant "ZOK!" sound effect. That thing's gold.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ragnell said...

Now, if they'd frame that in black, write "Teamwork" or "leadership" at the bottom and hang it up where I work I guarantee Morale would improve.

3/04/2006 2:23 AM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

Word! Way more motivational than a mountain or a horse.

3/04/2006 8:12 AM

 
Blogger M said...

The Zok is so key.

3/04/2006 10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not embarassed to admit: I actually kept a xerox of that page tacked onto my bulletin board for a few years there. So, yeah, it works for me...

--Chris Keels

3/04/2006 10:48 AM

 
Blogger Steven Hardina said...

I love that even his lamp looks like Kirby-tech and would be right at home in Reed Richards' lab.

3/04/2006 8:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. I wanna frame this on my wall and burn some incense under it.

3/04/2006 11:33 PM

 
Blogger Richard said...

What you have here is a filler page that originally appeared in NEW GODS #5 from 1971. The previous issue, the comic had switched from a 15 cent single-story format to a 25 cent oversized format filled out with short backup strips and reprints of Simon & Kirby Manhunter stories from the Forties. NEW GODS #5 included a reprint from ADVENTURE COMICS #74, May 1942. Before the reprint, this page appeared with the following text at the top:

HELLO AGAIN! KIRBY'S the name! And COMICS is my game!! I can tell you, pals, I enjoy every minute of it! -- Sure, it's GREAT, going 'round that big creative "bend" and bringing in a sensational "NEWIE!" But the "BIGGIES" of the Golden Age of Comics remain a GIANT experience in themselves!! Try a bag of genuine Golden Age "GRABBERS!"

The "Hello, Again!" is the same as in this reworked version. The word balloon contained the following:

Last issue I gave you the ORIGIN of the Golden Age MANHUNTER! This time, I've picked another of his best exploits! From ADVENTURE COMICS of the GOLDEN AGE...HERE HE COMES!

The subsequent reprints of Kirby's Fourth World comics are great to have...but for me those tattered originals are worth their weight in gold.

3/05/2006 7:28 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

Thanks for the info, Rab!

3/07/2006 10:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punching bears is BAD!!

1/31/2007 1:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home