I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Get Ready For Awesome

I'll admit that I've never been familiar with the work of writer Mike Friedrich, but as of tonight, I'm willing to step forward and say that he may be the single greatest writer to ever work on a Marvel comic.

I was well on my way to this decision when Josh showed me the panel at left, Paul Reinman and Mike Royer's splash page for Friedrich's Ka-Zar: Lord of the Hidden Jungle #1. That is a page that features a man in a loincloth and his pet sabre-tooth tiger parchuting out of a plane to get back to a dinosaur-ridden jungle in the middle of Antarctica.

That's a sabre-tooth tiger... with a parachute... jumping out of a plane.

That, my friends, is awesome. But it's not why I think there should be a statue of Friedrich facing the Lincoln Memorial. That honor belongs to his work on Werewolf By Night #19, a feat of sheer awesomeness that can only be expressed with an ungodly amount of boldface type. Tug found it in the back and showed it to me, and I could not speak for minutes afterwards. And now, I pass it to to you.

You can get the idea from the cover, but I'm just going to go ahead and give you guys the splash page, because it's got the actual title of the story. But Be warned: It may well shatter your fragile human mind.


VAMPIRES ON THE MOTHERFUCKING MOON!

10 Comments:

Blogger Ragnell said...

You should put a disclaimer up before you show that sort of thing! What if someone has a heart condition?

4/13/2006 12:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that he's on the moon and thus always a werewolf.

Answering the time old question.

4/13/2006 1:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I want these mutherfuckin' vampires off the mutherfuckin' moon!"

Word Verification: jymfv

mfv = mutherfuckin' vampires!

4/13/2006 9:58 AM

 
Blogger Steven Hardina said...

I want to see Dracula turn into a bat on the moon and promptly fall on his little bat-face because his wings wouldn't work without an atmosphere. And then turn back into human-Drac, get up, brush himself off, and look around to make sure nobody was watching. 'Cause I'm sure that dude doesn't do embarassment well.

4/13/2006 1:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I....I just wet myself.

4/13/2006 8:30 PM

 
Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Sabre-tooth tigers in parachutes? Vampires on the moon?? Truly, none can deny the true might of the Bronze Age.

If Marvel only had the courage to show Zabu parachuting onto the moon, world peace would be a reality.

4/13/2006 9:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really need to watch Chuck Norris Karate Comandos. You did a review of the book but damn the show has parachuting alagators being launched by catapult into a Space Shuttle Launch area.

4/14/2006 12:25 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

ATTENTION HOLLYWOOD: I require DVDs of this posthaste.

4/14/2006 3:18 AM

 
Blogger Gordon D said...

Ohmigod....I think my heart just exploded.

Vampires.

On the moon.

Frickin' Cool, man.....

4/14/2006 12:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You should put a disclaimer up before you show that sort of thing! What if someone has a heart condition?"

He told you to "Get Ready for Awesome". What did you THINK he meant?

7/28/2008 9:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home