I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Not Exactly a Startling Conclusion

Instead of doing something remotely productive today, I spent a solid chunk of my evening reading a truly brain-liquefying amount of DC Comics from the mid-sixties.

Admittedly, this was a better way to spend my time than what I did this afternoon, which saw me wandering aimlessly through the saddest video store I've ever been in, wondering if I should shell out three bucks to get a used VHS copy of 9 1/2 Ninjas, which, according to the tagline on the box, was "the first erotic martial arts action comedy."

I still don't know if I made the right choice.

Regardless, I feel like I should point something out about Silver Age DC Comics:

Clothing in the Silver Age turns against its owner with alarming regularity.

Seriously. Stuff like this happens to Superman all the time, but when the logo on your shirt starts shooting death-rays at your friends, it requires a bit of explanation.

Needless to say, the sequence of events leading to a tragic emblem-laser mishap involves irrigation ditches, meteor showers, red kryptonite, prophetic dreams, talking microbes, a conveniently-located spaceship, and the Parasite, who isn't even in the story.

So, not nearly as complex as Lois Lane's Ren-Faire marriage to a Super-Gnome.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you buy 9 1/2 Ninjas? I remember watching it about 12-14 years ago, and thinking the first half was incredibly funny and the rest totally lame.

5/08/2006 2:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe there was any question at all about 9 1/2 ninjas. Are you so poor that you won't be able to afford enough cat food to eat dinner this week if you buy 9 1/2 Ninjas? If so, a) you should spend less time blogging and b) okay, that's a good excuse. There is no other good excuse. None. I don't even have a VCR. I would still buy it on principle.

I love that there's some dude who's all "Oh yeah, I saw that! Here is a brief review!" The Internet is awesome.

5/08/2006 3:47 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

9 1/2 Ninjas vs. Chris's Wallet: Whose Side Are YOU On?

5/08/2006 5:40 PM

 
Blogger Steven said...

I'm with the Ninjas.

I'm always with the Ninjas.

Unless it's the ninjas vs. Chuck Norris.

Then I have to think about it.

5/08/2006 8:34 PM

 
Blogger Jake said...

Holy crap. I bought 9 1/2 Ninjas for about three times that amount back in about 1992. I wish I'd had your sense and just read some old comic books instead. If I'd invested that $10 in internet stocks, I could have been a billionaire... and then of course wiped out, but a billionaire nonetheless.

5/09/2006 4:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home