I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Great Moments in Comic Book History, Volume Four

In the imaginary world where comics bloggers are constantly being hounded by fans searching for truth, I'm often asked what the single greatest panel in comic book history is.

It's a tough question: There's just so much to choose from that even attempting to narrow it down to one panel is as close to impossible as you're likely to find. There's Skurge holding the bridge to Hel, or Rorschach taking on an entire prison, or the Punisher socking a polar bear, or OMAC punching his way into the city of the super-rich. Heck, there's pretty much every splash page Jack Kirby drew during the '70s. And, of course, there's my personal favorite, Batman, the car battery, and the unluckiest thug of 1988.

Still, as much as I like the comics of the past twenty years, if we'd decided to go ahead and stop making 'em back in 1987, there's a part of me that really wouldn't have a problem with that. Why?

Gumby's Summer Fun Special.

Bob Burden.

Art Adams.

(Click for Double-Sized Radness)

Shoulder to shoulder, Pirates and Space Bears.


For those of you who were wondering why I was so excited about the upcoming Gumby trade, well, that's why.




BONUS FEATURE: Just Because It's Awesome...


...here's the back cover:



If you are not Freaking Out at the prospect of pirates, space bears, vampires, robots, flying saucers, midget skeletons, and a freakin' werewolf, then you are beyond my skills, because that is the definition of awesome.

More Great Moments in Comic Book History:

| Volume One: Pirate Batman Throws Down On A Shark |
| Volume Two: Nick Fury Appears Like a Human Cyclone |
| Volume Three: The Unconquerable Captain America |

14 Comments:

Blogger Mark W. Hale said...

I am quite nearly overwhelmed by the seriousness of the Space Bear on the left. He means business, but being unaware of just what that business is leaves me a bit frightened.

3/21/2007 2:16 AM

 
Blogger Tom Foss said...

I'm not sure what his business is either, but I hear he does it in the woods.

3/21/2007 2:52 AM

 
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

If we'd stopped comics in 1987, we wouldn't have had Heroes Reborn, Infinite Crisis or Civil War!

You may have a point.

3/21/2007 6:16 AM

 
Blogger Siskoid said...

I don't freak out that easily, to tell you the...

ARE THOSE UFOS IN THE SHAPE OF SOLDIER'S HELMETS???

Your job is done.

3/21/2007 8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burden rocks my world. Somewhere I have an xmas card he sent me, totally Burden-esque art ('natch) and an original sketch of Flaming Carrot on the inside too boot!

3/21/2007 9:35 AM

 
Blogger Jeff said...

Shut up, Chris. Just shut up.

You had me at space bears.

3/21/2007 9:43 AM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

On of my best eBay purchases. I didn't know they were collecting this stuff into trade?

3/21/2007 9:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have to split the awesome between this issue and the Gumby Winter Fun Special.

Why?

Molemen, Santa Claus in Hell and I believe a giant Gumby robot.

3/21/2007 10:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true -- between the Gumby Fun specials and every single issue of Sam & Max, this was a magical time for comics.

3/21/2007 12:59 PM

 
Blogger Hate Filled Poster said...

And here I was expecting to be dissapointed today. This will do.

3/21/2007 1:39 PM

 
Blogger tavella said...

Oh, my god, I had completely forgotten about this. I need to fetch it from my longboxes now!

And wait, there a Winter Fun special? How did I miss this?

3/21/2007 2:51 PM

 
Blogger Bill D. said...

Oh, man, this is probably one of my five favorite comics ever, and certainly my greatest quarter bin find.

3/21/2007 4:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like that panel was calculated to hold as much awesome as a single panel could.

Dear God, I NEED to get this comic.

3/21/2007 4:38 PM

 
Blogger "Post-Google" by TAR ART RAT said...

woah-hey!

3/26/2007 7:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home