I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Sunday, August 21, 2005

The Motor City Madman

So I've been thinking about Ted Nugent a lot today. Exactly why the Nuge was the only thing I could think about during a half hour traffic jam on the way to work, no man can say, but it led me to create the following image:



Deal with it.

Regardless of Terrible Ted's presence in my thoughts, it's been brought to my attention by a certain alphanumeric friend of mine that I haven't been entirely forthcoming about the origins of my most popular feature.

I'm referring here to the NPR Trading Cards (sets one and two, for reference). While I made every card you see myself, I'm afraid that the original idea is not my own.

The credit for that has to be given to Scott Simmons and Matt Gossett, who came up with it on a trip to a convention years before Scott would convince me to give This American Life a listen on my hour-long drive to work. It's one of those stories that always gets told when we get together, the punchline being when the boss responded to their conversation with: "I like John Boy and Billy."

Cut to a few years later when I'm fully immersed in the wonderful world of Public Radio International and nursing a healthy crush on Sarah Vowell. I'm doing the ISB and I've done a bit on the Jack Kirby trading card set, when I overhear Radical-C say: "You know, if anything that we talk about should actually get made, it's NPR Trading Cards." So I made them.

Which begs the question as to why I didn't credit them in the first place. Well, while I shoot for a wider audience, let's be honest here: I have a readership of like fourteen people, seven of whom would actually get the joke. So I really didn't think it was necessary. But now that it's starting to become something that the ISB is known for by other people, it's only fair to give them credit.

Fun Fact: Last Wednesday, when I was driving home fantasizing about being interviewed by Terry Gross (Yes, I fantasize about being on Fresh Air. I'm well aware that I'm the lamest person ever.), I made sure to give the proper credit in my imaginary interview.

So there it is. Scott and Matt are the Bill Finger of the ISB.

Moving on.



Holy Crap, Warren Ellis and JH Williams! That looks frigg'n awesome!

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil Looney said...

Spam!

Good to see credit given where it's due. Whne is Scott Simmons going to do a blog?

8/21/2005 8:41 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

I don't think that's spam... I mean, that's ACTUALLY a blog, as opposed to, say, information on the Timber industry.

8/21/2005 5:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home