I've Moved! Check out the all-new, all-different Invincible Super-Blog at www.The-ISB.com!

Friday, January 12, 2007

The Week in Ink: 1-10-07

Before I get started with this week's comics reviews, there's something about my tastes that you guys might want to know.

Not too long ago, I mentioned that I'd never seen Predator, and while I was taking time off last week, I made an effort to rectify that little pop-culture oversight, and I've got to say: That flick is overrated.

Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible or anything, but once you get past the first twenty minutes or so (where Arnold Schwarzenegger takes his team of pro wrestlers, character actors, and Carl Weathers and goes to blow up a section of the South American jungle), that movie slows to a crawl to become the most boring movie I've seen in a long, long time. I'm not even saying that it's the movie's fault, but really: The reveal of what the Predator looks like doesn't really mean much to someone who works at a comic book store, and it doesn't really take a lot of thinking to work out that everybody's going to die except Arnold by the time the movie finally gets around to ending. Meanwhile, there's a couple high points, but for me, there just wasn't enough to overcome the incredible, dragging boredom.

Commando, on the other hand, was fantastic.

But enough of this cinematic nonsesnse! It's Thursday Friday night, and for a while there, I was worried that I'd have to lead this thing off with the Batman/Spectre kick from the nigh-unlikeable lead story from Tales of the Unexpected. But fortunately...



...Phonogram got my back. But will it be enough to earn it an unprecedented three-time Best of the Week honor? Find out now as the ISB punches its way through the first set of comics reviews of 2007!




Comics

52: Week 36: I tend to enjoy 52 on the whole, but I don't think I've ever seen a story that lost my interest quite as completely as the bits that revolve around the heroes that were lost in Outer Spaaaaace. It started well enough, and the idea that Animal Man, Adam Strange, and Starfire were going to team up and fight Devilance was pretty exciting, but here we are eight months later, and it's rapidly become clear that the entire sequence has absolutely nothing to offer me. Personally, I blame the string of interesting ideas that turned out to be really, really stupid, like the Emerald Eye of Ekron just being a piece of some random Green Lantern's head, and Lobo being a pacifist right up until he got really mad. Even this issue's apparent death of Animal Man, a character that I've got a great amount of affection for, is blunted by the fact that I couldn't care less what happens, and unfortunately, this one's almost entirely built around that story.

To make matters worse, this issue also features Power Girl's origin--in the only example so far of the two-page backup being broken up by an ad--and while I'm all for Adam Hughes drawing Power Girl, the story itself is one of those ridiculously convoluted pieces of Infinite Crisis that we were a lot better off without. It's a chore to get through at best, and there's really no reason aside from completism not to skip it and hope it works out a little better next time.


ISB BEST OF THE WEEK




Agents of Atlas #6: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this issue opens with the single best Frank Sinatra-based action sequence since Hudson Hawk.

Okay, so it's actually a Cole Porter-based action sequence, but the fact remains that Jeff Parker and Leonard Kirk have crafted a near-perfect ending to one of the best mini-series of the past year. The whole thing's been incredibly solid since the first issue with its exceptionally fun take on a group of all-but-forgotten characters like Marvel Boy and the Human Robot, but the twists that wrap it up have proven that it's as well-done in execution as it was in concept, right down to the text pieces that close each issue. Kirk's art is fantastic, and even the wordplay that Parker uses in his reveal that the Yellow Claw's real name is "Master Plan" is a great touch, and the way it leaves itself open for more action to come is exactly the sort of thing I love about the Marvel Universe. If you haven't already, it's well worth your time to put a run together at your local store, or to jump on the trade when it comes out. It's worth it for Gorilla Man alone.


Batman #662: With this issue, "Grotesk" has finally reached its conclusion, and for a for a four-part story that came out every two weeks, this thing sure felt like it dragged on forever. I've mentioned before--often while reviewing this very comic--how much affection I've got for John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake, but with the shining, brilliant exception of Johnny Karaoke and his Geisha Grrls, this thing's been one cliché after another since it started, and ranks as one of the most worthless fill-in arcs that I've ever read. But hey, on the bright side, it's over! And... Well, I guess that's not really much of a bright side at all, really.


Gen13 #4: It probably doesn't bode well that we're not even through the first story arc and we've already got someone filling in for Talent Caldwell on pencilling duties here. It's not a very jarring change from Caldwell to Sunny Lee--who worked on the last issue as well--and it's not like Caldwell's the reason I'm picking it up, but much like the situation with Blue Beetle and alleged regular penciller Cully Hamner (who's only around about half the time), it's a noticeable inconsistency that bothers me for some reason. As for the story itself, Gail Simone continues trucking along with the origin story, and while it's a pretty big divergence from the way the original team got started, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's completely lacking in any kind of subtlety, but let's be honest here: It's Gen13. Subtlety would only hold it back.


GØDLAND #15


Justice Society of America #2: Last time around, I was pretty convinced that I was the only person on the comics blog circuit who thoroughly hated the JSA relaunch, but I stuck around for this issue, and I have to admit that I liked it more than the first. Not much more, considering that there's still a lot that doesn't make sense about it, but enough to keep me on for the next issue to see where it goes. Specifically, the part with Wildcat and his new son actually worked out a lot better than I thought it was going to, and Wildcat's "Did ya win?" and its response were good reminders of the things I used to really like about Geoff Johns.

The flipside, of course, is that there was just as much of a reminder of what I don't like about him in the character of Starman. It's hard enough to read with the constant reminders of how much Johns loves the fun-but-overrated Kingdom Come, but the apparent reveal that it's actually KC Starman only makes slightly more sense than my original theory that it's pre-Crisis Starboy from the Legion of Super-Heroes, and I'm not entirely sure that's not the case. It's pretty needlessly complex, and only barely ties in with the stuff from Starman where we find out that Post-Crisis Starboy's going to come back and--well, you know the rest. Suffice to say that it's convoluted, and that his "mental problems" put him right up there with Maxine Hunkel on the Characters I Wish Would Stop Talking Now list.


The Nightly News #3: Kevin and a few other folks I know have been unfavorably comparing this book to Brian Wood's Channel Zero, which I own but haven't read. I plan on knocking it out tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm still really enjoying Jonathan Hickman's debut. The most striking thing about it, of course, is the design, but in this issue especially, the way he works the graph- and chart-filled "informational" sections into the opening segments is amazingly appealing, to the point where I found myself pulling out a Post-It note to work through the provided equation and find out if my education was worth it. As a side-note, yes, it was, but keep in mind that I dropped out of college to devote my time to conquering the seedy underbelly of Vice City and may--may--have underrated my job-related unhappiness.


Phonogram #4: One of the things that's been really interesting for me as a reader of Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie's Phonogram is that--like I've said before--I'm coming to a lot of the music that the story's based around completely cold, having missed out on the rise and fall of Britpop almost entirely in my wayward youth. In a way, it's great; for the past few months, I've been listening to the albums that Gillen reccomends in each issue's text pieces and totally loving them, but when it comes to an issue like this one, my lack of knowledge puts me at a disadvantage of figuring out what exactly's going on most of the time. Case in point: Tug had to explain to me that the guy being told that he's so funny is Jarvis Cocker, and I was listening to "Common People" while I read it.

Yeah, I sometimes miss a lot.

Fortunately, it's a good enough comic that reading it twice--or more, really--isn't something that I'm not up for, and with Gillen's comprehensive and enjoyable notes at the end of each issue, the second time through had the same great feeling that the rest of the series has brought through so far despite a few jumpy moments. McKelvie's art, as always, is clean and thoroughly enjoyable, and I'll cop to being a little surprised that he handled the huge visual metaphors of Gillen's dream-sequence script as well as he did. It's a great series, and in case you somehow missed the praise I've been throwing at it for the past few months, you can read the entire first issue for free at Newsarama. Get on it!


The Punisher #43


Runaways #23: It's not that I don't like stories where two hot teenage girls are about to make out and then one of them turns out to be a Skrull or anything--in fact, now that I think of it, that may actually be my ideal comic book--but there's a pretty noticeable flaw in the opening sequence, in that Karolina refers to Xavin as "Nico" twice, and the latter only gets confused about it on the second time through. That nitpick aside, though, it's another fantastic issue as Vaughan builds to his departure from the book, and pretty much every panel serves as a reminder of why Adrian Alphona, Craig Yeung, and Christina Strain are one of the tightest art teams in the industry. It's definitely going to be a shame to see them go, but in the meantime, "Live Fast" is shaping up to have some incredibly entertaining stuff to it.


Stormwatch: PHD #3: One of the nicest things I can say about a comic--especially when it's a WildStorm book with a focus on the gritty, street-level side of super-heroes--is that it's a pleasant reminder of Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips' Sleeper, and with this issue, Christos Gage and Doug Mahnke nailed that. Specifically, the scene where Paris relates his "secret origin" and its aftermath had the same type of feel as the similar sequences that Sleeper was peppered with, and as I said, that's good company to be in. It's excellent, solid stuff, and it's easily the best Wildstorm book coming out, despite not having a main character who kicks Hitler right in the junk.


Tales of the Unexpected #4: Look: You can throw in as much of Batman kicking the Spectre in the face as you want, but after three solid issues of me trying desperately to give a crap about what happens in the book and utterly failing, it's not going to fool me into getting excited. Admittedly, this issue's Spectre story is better than it has been, based soley on the fact that the plot actually advances for once, but if nothing else, it's hampered by the fact that the police know it's a white ghost with a green cowl and phenomenal cosmic vengeance powers, and yet nobody goes: "Oh, right, the Spectre. He was in the JSA, remember?"

The backup, meanwhile, continues to be Brian Azzarello's best work ever, with a hilarious scene where Dr. Thirteen tries desperately to pass a dollar off for ten dimes and is thoroughly mystified when it doesn't work, and what may actually be the best "Statue of Hitler" gag in comics history.

Huh. That's two comics in a row where I mentioned Hitler. I should stop watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade while I write these things.


(Welcome To) Tranquility #2: I'm pretty sure that this series was originally solicited as just "Tranquility," but according to the shipping lists and the indicia, it's now metamorphosed into "Welcome To Tranquility," just like the members of Nextwave eventually became Agents of HATE. This, of course, has no real bearing on the quality of the book itself, but I'm curious as to why the change came around, especially given that the original title was a little snappier, and the addition of "Welcome" really only seems like the kind of thing you'd want on the first story arc. Maybe there's a pending lawsuit from the 813 citizens of Traniquillity, CA? Either way, it's a fun comic, and as you've probably already heard, the inimitable Dr. Scott of Polite Dissent helped out with the medical dialogue in this issue, which would be reason enough to pick it up, even if it didn't have Gail Simone's awkward, self-conscious version of the Cryptkeeper kicking around.





Champions Classic v.2: In case you missed my discussion of its merits from the other day, allow me to explain why you need to shell out twenty bucks for this one in four words: First. Appearance. Of. Swarm.

For those of you who remain unconvinced, I just don't know what to say. I knocked the whole thing out Thursday afternoon, and found myself cracking up at panels like the one where Iron Man apologizes to Ghost Rider by punching him in the face and yelling at him. It's something you need to own.


Degrassi Extra Credit v.2: Suddenly Last Summer


Showcase Presents the Justice League of America v.2





And that's it for the first Week in Ink of 2007. As always, if you've got any questions about something I didn't mention, or just want to tell me that I'm wrong about Predator (which I'm not), feel free to leave a comment.

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Predator overrated? Dude, it produced two United States Governors! And once Carl Weathers gets off his ass and decides to run, a President!

Hell, even Reuben Blades from Predator 2 became a Cabinet Minister in Panama.

Mark my words, in 50 years, this is going to be considered the most important film of the '80's.

1/13/2007 2:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that supposed to be Emma on the Degrassi cover? Her eyes are freaky.

I like the space story in 52, but I'm beginning to think that might have more to do with how much I want to like the story than because it's, y'know, actually any good. In theory, Adam Strange, Animal Man, Starfire and Lobo parading about space for 8 months fighting a big scary alien invasion should be lots and lots of fun. In practice... eh, underwhelming.

1/13/2007 2:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he's totally the pre-crisis star boy, as his babbling about the guy he killed indicates, but whatever it was displaced him in time enough to get him here aparently stuck him in kingdom come time first.

1/13/2007 3:28 AM

 
Blogger LurkerWithout said...

I'm still totally annoyed that I somehow missed out on Phonogram this week. But I have to agree with you that the first Predator isn't that good. Though I think Commando is pretty stupid also, but its goofy enough to make up for it...

You should still check out Predatro II just to see horrible, horrible things happen to Bill Paxton and Gary Busey. Plus the 1 second sight gag that eventually caused the trainwreck of AvP...

1/13/2007 3:55 AM

 
Blogger Nathan P. Mahney said...

You, sir, a heathenous traitor to awesomeness. Predator is very nearly the best Arnie film ever (and there's some hefty competition). It's certainly better than Commando, which is saved only by the bit at the end where he shoots guys for, like, an hour.

1/13/2007 7:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tranquility was already used as a comic title, and a print-on-demand collection is still being sold by writer Fred van Lente.
http://www.fredvanlente.com/tranquility.html

1/13/2007 8:35 AM

 
Blogger Kieron said...

"Dude, me too. "Yeah, so you have to draw an enormous tower made of human bodies."

It's good for you, like fibre. You're all set up to draw a mod-take on the Authority now.

Lurkerwithout: Were you on the west coast of the US? If so, it's next week, apparently. We were hit by the Diamond problems.

KG

1/13/2007 9:20 AM

 
Blogger Kieron said...

Oh - and glad you liked the comic, Chris, but DUDE YOU ARE SO FUCKING WRONG ABOUT PREDATOR.

KG

1/13/2007 9:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Predator's like Civil War, a concept that might have been good, that indeed had some good moments, but that overall was handled badly?

(This could equally well be a description of my prom night, come to think of it.)

1/13/2007 9:29 AM

 
Blogger Matthew E said...

JSA: Actually, I think it's Starman from Kingdom Come who is himself the original Star Boy. As for what he's doing there, or why he's a superhero at all instead of a professional spaceball coach, or why Dawnstar's looking for him, or what Infectious Lass is doing in Tales of the Unexpected... I've given up on hoping that DC's actually going to make sense of Legion continuity, and just hope that the stories are good.

1/13/2007 10:10 AM

 
Blogger Juggernaut said...

I thoroughly agree that Commando was fantastic: it is arguably Arnold's best work. But you just can't say that Predator is overrated, much less boring. Inconceivable!

1/13/2007 10:51 AM

 
Blogger Evan Waters said...

Wait a sec, there's DeGrassi magna?

My sister MUST know about this.

1/13/2007 12:05 PM

 
Blogger John Bligh said...

Does DeGrassi have anything beyond a cult following (and Kevin Smith) here in the states? Who's buying that book?

Just wondering...

1/13/2007 12:31 PM

 
Blogger PMMDJ said...

You're right about Predator.

But, like others have said, you totally need to see Predator 2.

1/13/2007 1:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Predator? Boring?!

Chris, commenters, allow me to introduce you to a concept I like to call "suspense"...

Lack of explosions does not equal boring, you're SUPPOSED to anticipate the everyone dying thing.
But I understand where you're coming from. I am with movies the way you are with comics, and I can literally no longer be surprised at a plot twist in a movie.

Also I hope you got my email about the rather graphic car battery to the face that occurs in Children of Men

1/13/2007 2:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated Predator, and the children I took to see the flick hated it and then hated me so their rage wouldn't be so impotent. To this day, so many years later, they're still not talking to me. So, yeah, Predator was bad.

1/13/2007 3:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Week in Ink" continues to be a much-anticipated part of my week. It's almost as much fun as actually going to the comic store, and never leaves me with the slightly dejected feeling of having wasted my money on a comic I'm just going to bag up and never read again.

And I think you're right on "Predator," especially as a comics guy. The Predator and AvP comics rocked, but we've seen so many pin-ups, mini-series, cross-sections, unauthorized biographies, E! True Hollywood Stories, video games, action figuresm underoos and water-based lubricants based on the franchise that the suspense might be a little lacking if you didn't catch it the first time around. I felt that way about "The Crying Game."

As for Batman kicking The Spectre in the face: yet another reason to love comics-based laws of metaphysics. Did Grant Morrison make Batman so dangerous that he can even kick the embodied Avenging Wrath of the Murdered Dead in the face? As far as I know, only Jesse Custer's fight with God in "Preacher" rivals this.

1/13/2007 3:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew e: I seem to remember that being in the original Wizard notes, that the Starman of KC was some sort of version of Starboy. Or was it Jack Knight? Sigh.

1/13/2007 4:12 PM

 
Blogger Greg said...

The Nightly News AND Phonogram didn't show up in Phoenix this week. Grrrrr ...

1/13/2007 7:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, all that is all well and good, but since you skipped last week's comics' reviews, you havent talked about the AWESOMENESS that is All Star Superman 6.

P.S. I'm also without my Phonogram #4. Hurm.

1/13/2007 11:05 PM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

Also I hope you got my email about the rather graphic car battery to the face that occurs in Children of Men

I have had no fewer than four people contact me specifically to let me know that this happens. Ladies and gentlemen, I have arrived.

1/13/2007 11:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated Predator when I saw it in 1987, mostly for the dot-to-dot Acme Action Movie construction of it, not to mention Ah-nold's inert screen presense. Conan and Terminator? Perfect for the King of Cullie-Fohnia...the other stuff is just an endurance test.

As for the growing "Kingdom Come was over-rated" meme, I have only this to ask:

Compared to what?

I don't think anyone's saying it's Hemmingway, but at the same time, back on the bleak tundra that was the 1996 comics biz, Kingdom Come was...well, quite a kick to fandom's collective face.

Does it have its weak spots? Of course! But on the whole, it's a pretty decent piece of work.

I just wish everyone would keep their mitts off of it. First the dreadful flock of "Kingdom" mini-series, then Jeph Loeb's nonsensical kinda-sorta Kingdom Come Superman in Superman/Batman, now Geoff Johns grasping for his Kingdom Come Evocation merit badge.

Just leave it alone!

(unless the Kingdome Come Superman somehow meets Kal-L. Then I'm cool with that.)

1/13/2007 11:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, Midnighter #3 contains the phrase "Get Hitler out of the windshield!", which might be the best work ever in Occidental literature.

1/14/2007 12:17 AM

 
Blogger Chris Sims said...

As for the growing "Kingdom Come was over-rated" meme, I have only this to ask:
Compared to what?


For me at least, it's not really a matter of comparison, it's a matter of it being something DC should be attempting to build vast sections of their universe around.

Kingdom Come is certainly a good comic, and you won't find me disputing that, but I find myself enjoying it less and less the further I get away from the first time I read it. It's built around the premise that the DC characters are better than goofy "early Image-Style" characters like Cable, and while that was certainly a relevant statement to make in 1994, I really doubt that there's anybody around today that's going to take the bold stance that Spawn's going to outlast Superman or something. Every time I go back and read it again, it just strikes me as the aggressive thesis statement for an argument that nobody's having anymore, especially considering that DC now owns Jim Lee's WildStorm imprint and continues to pay Michael Turner for whatever the hell it is that he does.

That said, there's fun stuff in it, and it's certainly a "decent piece of work," but again, I don't feel like it needs to have any repurcussions beyond its conclusion, and the constant references to it in JSA just serve to make me more and more tired of it.

Basing it all around the Fourth World, however, is completely acceptable.

1/14/2007 2:23 AM

 
Blogger Tom Foss said...

I'll agree on the Kingdom Come front. Heck, I didn't even realize it was a meme, I've just been saying that it's overrated. The art's awesome, but I hated the idea of the story as official DCU future history when Mark Waid hammered us with it in his Flash run. It was overused then, and we got a nice reprieve, but Geoff Johns has gotten back into his KC wankery mode, and that's a shame.

It's a decent story. It's good to look at. It's not the best thing ever. After all, for all the Nazi characters in it, not one is made of bees.

1/14/2007 3:15 AM

 
Blogger Phil Looney said...

I hated Kingdom Come in 1996, when I first read it. As for the "compared to what" - I would say compared to Dark Knight and Watchmen, which DC tried very heavily at the time to compare it to.

1/14/2007 3:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The inspiration for the Alien vs. Predator movie wasn't so much the one-second throwaway shot in Predator 2 as the number of comic books on the theme published by Dark Horse Comic. I own the miniseries and it wasn't bad, certainly far better than what I've heard about the film.

1/14/2007 4:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My douchetrough roommate says he looks just like predator :(

http://home.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user&Mytoken=ihqmbg,bcAupxWIdfly

1/14/2007 9:37 AM

 
Blogger Jacob T. Levy said...

Mathew E said:

"I've given up on hoping that DC's actually going to make sense of Legion continuity, and just hope that the stories are good."

Is there any reason not to delete the word "Legion" from that sentence?

It turns out that New Earth is Hypertimier than Hypertime ever was, and characters can now freely bounce around among characterizations, histories, universes, multiverses, and continuities from different decades without even having to strap A-bombs to their chests.

I really enjoyed the puzzle-assembly aspects of post-Crisis storytelling-- "let's see how this can all fit together within the rules?"-- and the fact that it was a sufficiently self-contained continuity that there could really be development over time. (It was possible to have ready every post-Crisis DCU story, so you could have a clear view: "Is this in-character for [e.g.] Wonder Woman, or not? Do these two characters have a history together, or not?")

And that rule-bound aesthetic made it possible to get JLI, Suicide Squad, Starman, and Chase-- as well as the greatness that was so much of the previous JSA series. The current chaos is forcing me to read every series as if it were Justice or All-Star Superman-- off in a mini-conitnuity of its own, with various nods and references to old continuities that I might enjoy but can't take too seriously.

1/14/2007 11:23 AM

 
Blogger notintheface said...

I can't help but look at that Showcase JLA cover without having these questions.

1. Does Wonder Woman realize that if she lassoes Flash from the angle she's standing at she, Supes, and GL could end up pulling Flash apart ala "The Hitcher"?

and

2. Exactly what the fuck is the Atom trying to do?

1/14/2007 12:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In another instance of weird continuity confusion, why in JSA #2 is Dr. Mid-Nite describing Catalyst to Green Lantern and the Flash as if they have no idea of who that is? The team fought Catalyst and Kobra way back around the teens or twenties in the JSA series, and he almost killed Sand, but I guess everyone in the room forgot they were in that fight or ever met that random "metahuman gun-for-hire named Catalyst".

1/16/2007 12:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home